Distance markers and elevation chart stop at 100km

This is the Map Pedometer Forum
wyebosch

Distance markers and elevation chart stop at 100km

Post by wyebosch »

When plotting a route, the distance markers stop being placed at 100km and the elevation chart drops to 0 at 100km.
The total distance is still displayed. Is there a maximum distance for the elevation chart?
admin
Site Admin

Re: Distance markers and elevation chart stop at 100km

Post by admin »

Our elevation data provider documents a limitation of 250 miles or 400 kilometers. There is also a secondary limit on the length (in points) that can be sent to the provider. We just created a 150km route and elevation data was provided for the route. Showing a 0 elevation after 100km may be related to your specific route.

The limitation of 100 distance markers was originally set to help reduce map clutter at certain map resolutions. However, more and more users are creating longer routes and we will be raising this limit.
wyebosch wrote:When plotting a route, the distance markers stop being placed at 100km and the elevation chart drops to 0 at 100km.
The total distance is still displayed. Is there a maximum distance for the elevation chart?
wyebosch

Post by wyebosch »

Thanks for your fast reply - I tried some different routes and found the elevation chart limitation at 250km (not miles). Also found there are lots of areas (in BC, Canada) that display no elevation data (e.g. I tried the route Hope to Keremeos through Manning Park). Is that because there's no data available for those areas? I've tried making a route in another program and that showed an elevation profile for the whole route.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

If no elevation data is displayed then our elevation data provider doesn't have data for those areas. In some cases, you may see partial data for your route. Different elevation data providers have different geographic coverage for elevation data. In the future we may switch to a different elevation data provider.
wyebosch wrote:Thanks for your fast reply - I tried some different routes and found the elevation chart limitation at 250km (not miles). Also found there are lots of areas (in BC, Canada) that display no elevation data (e.g. I tried the route Hope to Keremeos through Manning Park). Is that because there's no data available for those areas? I've tried making a route in another program and that showed an elevation profile for the whole route.
Skfisher

Post by Skfisher »

I am noticing that the distance markers stopping at 99 miles. Are you still working on increasing that limit? Is there any other way to determine incremental distance along your route w/o the distance markers?

Sincerely,

Stephen
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yes, distance markers currently stop at 99 miles/KM. We have had a previous request to display more more distance markers. We will likely increase the maximum number of distance markers soon.
Skfisher wrote:I am noticing that the distance markers stopping at 99 miles. Are you still working on increasing that limit? Is there any other way to determine incremental distance along your route w/o the distance markers?

Sincerely,

Stephen