Out-and-back routes / two directions down one road

This is the Map Pedometer Forum
rkboni

Out-and-back routes / two directions down one road

Post by rkboni »

I have problems with creating routes that have me travel down a certain segment of road in two directions... For example, if I want to do something like this:

* ------/----->----->----\
\----<-------<---/

Where I start at the '*', run the loop following the 'arrows' and then come back on the same path I started on back to the '*'. Usually the point at which I rejoin the route already traveled, the pedometer refuses to add the next point. I've also had similar issues making a loop where the start point is really the same as the end point (it won't let me connect back to the start point).

Any tips on how to avoid the issue in either/both cases?

Thanks -- it's a great tool besides those limitations!
admin
Site Admin

Re: Out-and-back routes / two directions down one road

Post by admin »

Thanks for writing about this issue. Clicking on a map start/end/distance marker or route line will not add a point to your route. To avoid this limitation, click slightly to one side of the marker or line. If using the Running/Walking or Cycling/Driving modes, the added point will move to the closest road. If using the Straight line method, the point may be slightly off from your intended location.

If the point you added doesn't end up where you want it, you can easily move it. Left click on the last point, hold your mouse button down, drag the end point to a new location on the map, and then release the mouse button. While dragging the point, you will see an X below the point indicating exactly where the point will end up. Aftering releasing the end marker, the route between the previous point and the new end point will redraw.

The click/drag method can be used on the last point any time that you are creating a map. While useful for fine tuning the location of the last point, it can also be used to scroll the map while setting the location of the next point. To scroll the map using this feature, click/drag the end point and move the point off the top, bottom, or sides of the map. The map will start to scroll in the direction you moved the end point. Release the end point to confirm the new location of the point.
rkboni wrote:I have problems with creating routes that have me travel down a certain segment of road in two directions... For example, if I want to do something like this:

* ------/----->----->----\
\----<-------<---/

Where I start at the '*', run the loop following the 'arrows' and then come back on the same path I started on back to the '*'. Usually the point at which I rejoin the route already traveled, the pedometer refuses to add the next point. I've also had similar issues making a loop where the start point is really the same as the end point (it won't let me connect back to the start point).

Any tips on how to avoid the issue in either/both cases?

Thanks -- it's a great tool besides those limitations!