elevation graph not working

This is the Map Pedometer Forum
kenner1

elevation graph not working

Post by kenner1 »

after saving my route, the elevation graph box shows up at the bottom but with no information.... any clues as to what's wrong? Thanks
admin
Site Admin

Re: elevation graph not working

Post by admin »

Please provide the route number for the route that you saved. Please also provide your browser information (which browser and which version). You can post here or send an email using the "Contact Map Pedometer" link at the bottom of the page.
kenner1 wrote:after saving my route, the elevation graph box shows up at the bottom but with no information.... any clues as to what's wrong? Thanks
mernick

Post by mernick »

same thing happened to me this morning. i am using chrome. route number 261596 - angels landing in Zion. nice but hard.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Apparently, MapQuest doesn't have elevation data for the specific area in your route. We created a 5 mile route a few miles to the east near Zion Ponderosa Ranch Resort and the elevation graph showed data for the route.
mernick wrote:same thing happened to me this morning. i am using chrome. route number 261596 - angels landing in Zion. nice but hard.
mernick

Post by mernick »

that is so weird because angels landing is one of the most famous hikes in america. could it be because it is too step in such a short distance. it go straight up about 400 feet using switchbacks with about 25 feet of surface distance. more like a fire escape in new York. just guessing.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

We use MapQuest as our provider for elevation data. We have encountered problems with missing elevation data. But, in general, they have good coverage and reliable service. We may consider other options in the future.

One enhancement that we will likely add to our site is better error reporting. It would be much more user friendly if we reported "No elevation data available" rather than showing an empty or missing graph.
mernick wrote:that is so weird because angels landing is one of the most famous hikes in america. could it be because it is too step in such a short distance. it go straight up about 400 feet using switchbacks with about 25 feet of surface distance. more like a fire escape in new York. just guessing.