Elevation stats wrong

This is the Map Pedometer Forum
fpiergen

Elevation stats wrong

Post by fpiergen »

The elevation stats ( elevation gain ) given for my routes in Italy are not correct. The gain is way over estimated. I figure it has something to do with setting a threshold on the number of points it takes but I do not see anywhere I can do that. Anyone run into the same problem?
admin
Site Admin

Re: Elevation stats wrong

Post by admin »

The reported gain and loss is calculated based on the elevation data and a threshold which determines when a meaningful elevation change occurs. The elevation change threshold can't be adjusted by users. Numbers reported on different sites may vary due to the elevation data source and the threshold values. So, elevation change numbers from one source may not be directly comparable to another source. The reported elevation data can be used on Map Pedometer to compare the elevation change of different routes.

If you are seeing elevation change numbers that seem incorrect, the problem may either be incorrect elevation data or a threshold value that is too low for the elevation data. Please click on the "Contact Map Pedometer" link at the bottom of the forum page and email details to us regarding a specific route and the alternate source you used in your comparison.
fpiergen wrote:The elevation stats ( elevation gain ) given for my routes in Italy are not correct. The gain is way over estimated. I figure it has something to do with setting a threshold on the number of points it takes but I do not see anywhere I can do that. Anyone run into the same problem?