What's it for?

This is the Map Pedometer Forum
jpfieber

What's it for?

Post by jpfieber »

I was looking for a tool to plan a 3 mile walk, and found this site. Great tool to lay out the walk! The problem is, now what do I do with it? Ideally I'd like to open the route on my phone and have it navigate me through the walk, but I see no option to have this site do turn by turn, nor any option to export the route to Google Maps where it can do that for me. If there's a way to do what I want, please do let me know, otherwise, what is the purpose of the site (ie how are users making use of the maps they create)?
grandbic

Re: What's it for?

Post by grandbic »

Bonjour,
I mainly use the site for quick and easy measurement of cycling and running distances. I also appreciate elevation stats.(to be accurate these need adjustment in "profile" )
DirtyTimmy

Re: What's it for?

Post by DirtyTimmy »

I use this site for hiking and mountain bike riding in Germany. It recognizes nearly 100% of the visible trails in the Pfaelzerwald where I live.

After I use this site to map out a new route that I am trying, I pull latitude and longitude coordinates for key turnpoints using Google Earth (the mouse pointer reads out coordinates at the bottom of the screen). I manually load these into my $99 Garmin GPS that fits on my handlebars.

I then use the tracking feature and save the track after I ride a trail without error, so that I can go back and do it again simply by keeping on the track line. This might seem like a lot of work (wish I had an automated way of downloading the track directly to my GPS), but the hills are big and the forest is pretty deep in places, and I have yet to get lost more than momentarily in the 23 years I have lived here using this technique.

Google Earth also has photos that people have taken that generate some interesting places to go. I found a third century Roman altar that's on the map - a place that NOBODY I know has ever been to, even though it's fairly well marked and traveled to/from.