OpenStreetMaps

This is the Map Pedometer Forum
hermanoscott

OpenStreetMaps

Post by hermanoscott »

Is there any way to change back to google for the maps instead of OpenStreetMaps?
Now all of my routes do not match the maps so adding to the routes is inaccurate.
https://www.mappedometer.com/?maproute=714813
https://www.mappedometer.com/?maproute=682439
admin
Site Admin

Re: OpenStreetMaps

Post by admin »

Unfortunately, we can not use google maps any more as Google just had an exponential increase in their map usage costs. The new Google maps pricing levels are prohibitively expensive for a free website. We would have had to shut down the site if we did not switch to Open Street Maps. The only financial support we have for our site is from the ads on the site. We wouldn't be able to switch back to Google Maps unless we implemented a fee to cover the new costs. We would prefer to remain a free website.

We looked at your routes and it is surprising that the route lines are so far from the streets on the map. We previously looked at many routes and did not see this issue. We just compared the Open Street Maps map to the Google map at your route location. They clearly show one of the streets in different locations on the two maps. Since the route was created with Google Maps and Open Street Maps shows the streets in different locations, the route does not line up with the streets.

We are sorry, but you may need to recreate your map routes using the new Open Street Maps functionality. We verified that the new routing method does follow the streets in your location that are displayed on the Open Street Maps. So, you will be able to successfully recreate the routes. Once you recreate your routes, the My Routes page allows you to select and delete your old routes.
hermanoscott wrote:Is there any way to change back to google for the maps instead of OpenStreetMaps?
Now all of my routes do not match the maps so adding to the routes is inaccurate.
theraccoonbear

Post by theraccoonbear »

Is there any way to get satellite photo layers? I didn't see an option. I run a lot of trails that aren't official/mapped and I really need to go off of visuals of the trails to measure my routes.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

We had a deadline to convert over to Open Street Maps and could not include a satellite layer in the initial release. We do plan on adding a satellite layer. Thank you for your patience while we continue to make changes to Map Pedometer.
theraccoonbear wrote:Is there any way to get satellite photo layers? I didn't see an option. I run a lot of trails that aren't official/mapped and I really need to go off of visuals of the trails to measure my routes.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

If you are near the location of these routes, I'd recommend getting a GPS coordinate from your phone or other GPS device. That will help determine whether Google maps is incorrect or if Open Street Maps is incorrect. For instance, you could get the coordinate of the south west portion of Brookview Drive. Given the coordinate, we can plot the point on both maps and determine which map is incorrect. Both maps have a mechanism for reporting incorrect map data.
admin wrote:Unfortunately, we can not use google maps any more as Google just had an exponential increase in their map usage costs. The new Google maps pricing levels are prohibitively expensive for a free website. We would have had to shut down the site if we did not switch to Open Street Maps. The only financial support we have for our site is from the ads on the site. We wouldn't be able to switch back to Google Maps unless we implemented a fee to cover the new costs. We would prefer to remain a free website.

We looked at your routes and it is surprising that the route lines are so far from the streets on the map. We previously looked at many routes and did not see this issue. We just compared the Open Street Maps map to the Google map at your route location. They clearly show one of the streets in different locations on the two maps. Since the route was created with Google Maps and Open Street Maps shows the streets in different locations, the route does not line up with the streets.

We are sorry, but you may need to recreate your map routes using the new Open Street Maps functionality. We verified that the new routing method does follow the streets in your location that are displayed on the Open Street Maps. So, you will be able to successfully recreate the routes. Once you recreate your routes, the My Routes page allows you to select and delete your old routes.
hermanoscott wrote:Is there any way to change back to google for the maps instead of OpenStreetMaps?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

We have added a few new map layers for US visitors. US Satellite, US Topo Maps, and US Topo Satellite map layers are all now available on the home page map. The map layer control is on the top right of the map. Click the layer control to select any map layer. In the future, we will be adding more layers and refining the existing layers to provide better geographical coverage and resolution levels.
admin wrote:We had a deadline to convert over to Open Street Maps and could not include a satellite layer in the initial release. We do plan on adding a satellite layer. Thank you for your patience while we continue to make changes to Map Pedometer.
theraccoonbear wrote:Is there any way to get satellite photo layers? I didn't see an option. I run a lot of trails that aren't official/mapped and I really need to go off of visuals of the trails to measure my routes.
AGreenwod

Post by AGreenwod »

Excellent Job!

It is actually good to get away from google. The new layers are awesome. I am very pleased with the new options. Thanks for all your hard work and it is hard work to make such a transition.

admin wrote:We have added a few new map layers for US visitors. US Satellite, US Topo Maps, and US Topo Satellite map layers are all now available on the home page map. The map layer control is on the top right of the map. Click the layer control to select any map layer. In the future, we will be adding more layers and refining the existing layers to provide better geographical coverage and resolution levels.
admin wrote:We had a deadline to convert over to Open Street Maps and could not include a satellite layer in the initial release. We do plan on adding a satellite layer. Thank you for your patience while we continue to make changes to Map Pedometer.
hermanoscott

Post by hermanoscott »

Thanks for the reply and the information as to how to get correct info.
I'm going to leave the routes and not delete them, so others can see what we were referring to.

Thanks again.
Scott
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thank you for your post.
AGreenwod wrote:Excellent Job!

It is actually good to get away from google. The new layers are awesome. I am very pleased with the new options. Thanks for all your hard work and it is hard work to make such a transition.
lococonejo

Post by lococonejo »

Really missing the satellite layer with the streets labeled on Open maps.