Recent changes are a prbolem - trails missing!

This is the Map Pedometer Forum
mboulding

Recent changes are a prbolem - trails missing!

Post by mboulding »

I just logged in to set up my weekly long run and the map is completely different. It may look prettier, but it's missing many trails that I rely on for my run, and so I can no longer use the app. Why the changes? Any way to revert to the previous version of the maps that included better coverage of walking/biking trails? Thanks for any help here.....
admin
Site Admin

Re: Recent changes are a prbolem - trails missing!

Post by admin »

The changes were made since we moved away from Google maps. Unfortunately, we can not use google maps any more as Google just had an exponential increase in their map usage costs. The new Google maps pricing levels are prohibitively expensive for a free website. We would have had to shut down the site if we did not switch to Open Street Maps. The only financial support we have for our site is from the ads on the site. We wouldn't be able to switch back to Google Maps unless we implemented a fee to cover the new costs. We would prefer to remain a free website.

If you are in the US, you can switch to satellite or topo views using the map layer selector on the upper right corner of the map. That may help you see trails on the map.

We are researching additional options for map layers which cover areas outside of the US.
mboulding wrote:I just logged in to set up my weekly long run and the map is completely different. It may look prettier, but it's missing many trails that I rely on for my run, and so I can no longer use the app. Why the changes? Any way to revert to the previous version of the maps that included better coverage of walking/biking trails? Thanks for any help here.....
Hiker48

Post by Hiker48 »

Yup - I noticed the same thing today.

Also the layer for US Map only is not as clear as the Google map images; fuzzy. Makes it harder to see details and some trail junctions.

Too bad. This was my 'go to' website for planning hikes and tracking mileage.
mboulding

Post by mboulding »

Thanks for your quick reply ... understand the issues you are facing here. I tried using the other maps but they are also missing the trails.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

We just updated the site so that the US satellite image layers are at a higher resolution. You should be able to see the trails better now.
Hiker48 wrote:Yup - I noticed the same thing today.

Also the layer for US Map only is not as clear as the Google map images; fuzzy. Makes it harder to see details and some trail junctions.

Too bad. This was my 'go to' website for planning hikes and tracking mileage.