problems with run/walk vs cycle

This is the Map Pedometer Forum
gjanee

problems with run/walk vs cycle

Post by gjanee »

I'm finding it difficult to map a running route. For one thing, if in Run/Walk mode, the site follows sidewalks/walking paths (red dotted lines) just fine, but refuses to follow a bike path (blue dotted line). It is necessary to switch into Cycle mode. But then, if in Cycle mode, there is occasional weird behavior as exhibited by this: http://www.mappedometer.com/?maproute=728597. Switching back to Run/Walk mode correctly follows the street.

I think it would be most convenient if run/walk mode followed any available path: walking path, bike route, or street.
admin
Site Admin

Re: problems with run/walk vs cycle

Post by admin »

Thanks for reporting this issue. We will look in to this issue to see if there is a way to adjust the routing for cases such as the one you describe.
gjanee wrote:I'm finding it difficult to map a running route. For one thing, if in Run/Walk mode, the site follows sidewalks/walking paths (red dotted lines) just fine, but refuses to follow a bike path (blue dotted line). It is necessary to switch into Cycle mode. But then, if in Cycle mode, there is occasional weird behavior as exhibited by this: http://www.mappedometer.com/?maproute=728597. Switching back to Run/Walk mode correctly follows the street.

I think it would be most convenient if run/walk mode followed any available path: walking path, bike route, or street.
reincarnationfish

Post by reincarnationfish »

I'm experiencing a similar problem, but OP may be colour blind. It's green dotted lines are apparently unpaved paths suitable for cycling or recommended cycling routes, but there's nothing to stop you walking or running them too. But the pedometer won't let you mark them as part of a walking route.

[Blue dotted lines, on the other hand, work fine in walk mode. They are recommended walking paths between bus stops/transportation links.]
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

If the automated routing mechanism doesn't recognize an unpaved path, you can switch to the Straight Line routing method. That will allow you to travel over a path that is not known to the routing mechanism. You can freely switch between the routing modes while creating your route.

If you would like to improve the maps so that it knows about the unpaved path, you can contribute to the open source maps by adding the path. On the home page, see the "Help" description on the upper left portion of the map for details.
reincarnationfish wrote:I'm experiencing a similar problem, but OP may be colour blind. It's green dotted lines are apparently unpaved paths suitable for cycling or recommended cycling routes, but there's nothing to stop you walking or running them too. But the pedometer won't let you mark them as part of a walking route.

[Blue dotted lines, on the other hand, work fine in walk mode. They are recommended walking paths between bus stops/transportation links.]