Bike Route Does Not Plot as Intended

This is the Map Pedometer Forum
mfurlan

Bike Route Does Not Plot as Intended

Post by mfurlan »

Hi,

I've found that while mapping some bike routes, there are some instances in which a route will simply not be plotted as intended. Instead of the most direct route to an intended plot point, an alternative significantly longer route to this point sometimes appears. For example, assume I'm plotting a circular loop and have already selected the first plot point (1:00 on the face of a clock) and then try to plot a second point (2:00 on the clock). In some cases, the route that is mapped goes counter-clockwise around the entire clock to reach the second point. I'd appreciate any ideas on why this might occur.

Thanks.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Bike Route Does Not Plot as Intended

Post by admin »

There can be several reasons why this could occur. The routing depends on your routing mode. The routing mode can be Run/Walk, Cycle, Drive, or Straight Line. The Cycle and Drive modes are designed to respect the rules of the road. So, one way streets should not be traversed in the wrong direction. Similarly, using the Run/Walk mode may not allow the traversal of roads like highways. You can freely switch between different routing modes while creating a route. This may help with the issue you encountered. Changing the routing mode can have an effect on the path between two locations. However, the route may not be safe to traverse if you use a routing mode for a transportation method other than the one you will use when creating the route.

Another possibility is that the OpenStreetMap routing information is incorrect. For example, in your case the road segment between 1:00 and 2:00 may have been erroneously notated as one way in the opposite direction. A map correction would be required to fix this issue. Individuals are encouraged to make updates to the maps when errors are found.

You can click on the "Help" button on the upper left corner of the Home page map for some additional information on routing modes and how to make changes to the OpenStreetMap maps.
mfurlan wrote:Hi,

I've found that while mapping some bike routes, there are some instances in which a route will simply not be plotted as intended. Instead of the most direct route to an intended plot point, an alternative significantly longer route to this point sometimes appears. For example, assume I'm plotting a circular loop and have already selected the first plot point (1:00 on the face of a clock) and then try to plot a second point (2:00 on the clock). In some cases, the route that is mapped goes counter-clockwise around the entire clock to reach the second point. I'd appreciate any ideas on why this might occur.

Thanks.