Unable to route to selected point

This is the Map Pedometer Forum
xsgbloom

Unable to route to selected point

Post by xsgbloom »

Hi admin,

Something has changed with Map Pedometer's ability to route in private neighborhoods. It used to be that the roads in the private communities around South Alma School Rd. in Sun Lakes, AZ could be used for routing my walks, however now the private roads all appear with grey dashes in them and whenever I try to select a point on those roads, I get the "Unable to route to selected point" warning/pop-up. Unfortunately, I happen to live in one of those communities, so I can no longer use Map Pedometer to track my local walks.

This issue occurs regardless of whether Run/Walk, Cycle, or Drive is selected. You should be able to reproduce the issue by trying to create a route starting from "E Cedar Waxwing Dr., Sun Lakes, AZ".

Is it possible that the underlying Google Maps data feed has changed and it now defaults to preventing routing on private roadways unless a special flag is added to the map data request?
admin
Site Admin

Re: Unable to route to selected point

Post by admin »

We are using OpenStreetMap maps which are open source maps where anyone may update and improve the maps. In your case, no one has added trail information for the private roads in your area. You can help contribute to OpenStreetMap by adding the missing path information to OpenStreetMap. On the Map Pedometer home page, click on the "Help" link in the upper left of the map to get more details about editing the OpenStreetMap maps.

Until someone adds paths to the OpenStreetMap maps, you can use the "Straight Line" mapping mode to overcome the missing map information issues.
xsgbloom wrote:Hi admin,

Something has changed with Map Pedometer's ability to route in private neighborhoods. It used to be that the roads in the private communities around South Alma School Rd. in Sun Lakes, AZ could be used for routing my walks, however now the private roads all appear with grey dashes in them and whenever I try to select a point on those roads, I get the "Unable to route to selected point" warning/pop-up. Unfortunately, I happen to live in one of those communities, so I can no longer use Map Pedometer to track my local walks.

This issue occurs regardless of whether Run/Walk, Cycle, or Drive is selected. You should be able to reproduce the issue by trying to create a route starting from "E Cedar Waxwing Dr., Sun Lakes, AZ".

Is it possible that the underlying Google Maps data feed has changed and it now defaults to preventing routing on private roadways unless a special flag is added to the map data request?