Routing fails on horse trails, also causing other problems

This is the Map Pedometer Forum
Head_Unit

Routing fails on horse trails, also causing other problems

Post by Head_Unit »

Go to "heritage community park, rancho cucamonga, california"
- Start a trail at any point on a green trail (I assume these are horse trails??). Click on even a nearby point on a green trail. Direct routing fails and it is trying to take you around on streets.

- Scroll south-west along Demens Creek Channel to the first intersection (Wilson Avenue at Carnelian Street). Start a trail at a point just north-east of the intersection on the blue trail. Now click a point just south-west of the intersection on the blue trail. Again routing fails because a segment there is only coded green.

However in fact I've never seen a horse trail forbidden to walkers or runners, and in the case of stuff like the intersection of course you can just cross through across the intersection.

Love the application nevertheless!
admin
Site Admin

Re: Routing fails on horse trails, also causing other proble

Post by admin »

If you can't make a route along the horse trail, either the horse trail on the map was not defined as a path or the path wasn't marked as usable by pedestrians.

We are using OpenStreetMap maps which are open source maps where anyone may update and improve the maps. Assuming it is safe for pedestrians, you can help contribute to OpenStreetMap by adding the missing path information to OpenStreetMap. On the Map Pedometer home page, click on the "Help" link in the upper left of the map to get more details about editing the OpenStreetMap maps.

Until the maps are updated, you can use the "Straight Line" mapping mode to overcome the missing map information issues.
Head_Unit wrote:Go to "heritage community park, rancho cucamonga, california"
- Start a trail at any point on a green trail (I assume these are horse trails??). Click on even a nearby point on a green trail. Direct routing fails and it is trying to take you around on streets.

- Scroll south-west along Demens Creek Channel to the first intersection (Wilson Avenue at Carnelian Street). Start a trail at a point just north-east of the intersection on the blue trail. Now click a point just south-west of the intersection on the blue trail. Again routing fails because a segment there is only coded green.

However in fact I've never seen a horse trail forbidden to walkers or runners, and in the case of stuff like the intersection of course you can just cross through across the intersection.

Love the application nevertheless!